If you are a social media user, you constantly see friends updating their posts, tweets, snaps, and photos. As you see these updates, you may feel obligated to fit in with the social media users by creating these same types of updates. Here is a short list of the yearly “required” postings:
- “Happy New Year” status and/or your New Year Resolution
- Pictures of you and your spouse on Valentine’s Day
- Photos of your amazing spring break trip to make everyone jealous
- Photos of your kids looking for Easter eggs
- “Happy Mother’s Day” status (bonus points for a photo of you and your mom)
- “Happy Father’s Day” status (bonus points for a photo of you and your dad)
- Photos of you watching fireworks on the 4th of July
- A mashup picture of your kids on their first day of school
- A status describing how much you love fall and/or pumpkin spice lattes
- Photos of your kids in their Halloween costumes and the pumpkins they carved
- A post about how thankful you are for the people in your life….along with how much you love turkey, pie, and football
- A picture of your Christmas tree that you skillfully decorated
This is not an extensive list and leaves out engagements, weddings, baby announcements, birthdays, anniversaries, and more! I often feel pressured to post these highlights of my year to social media because everyone else is doing it! That makes me wonder if there are other things that influence my decisions.
When we think about investments, the media often influences our anxiety about the markets. Maybe everyone says the markets are going down and you should sell. We believe you should not feel obligated to buy or sell just because that is the current trend. Often, the trends that receive media attention are generalizations and not the best investment decisions for you as an individual investor. Foster Group creates a portfolio that is appropriate for you during all types of market trends. We want you to have confidence that you are appropriately invested for all market trends. When in doubt about the market movements, call your Foster Group financial advisor….and then post a photo of your pumpkin spice latte.
PLEASE NOTE LIMITATIONS: Please see Important Disclosure Information and the limitations of any ranking/recognitions, at www.fostergrp.com/info-disclosure/. A copy of our current written disclosure statement as set forth on Part 2A of Form ADV is available at www.adviserinfo.sec.gov.